Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Finding Motivation


Sometimes it is the hardest thing in the world to motivate ourselves. But there are ways to help yourself.

First, decide why you don’t want to do the task in hand. Is it just too big to contemplate so you don’t know where to start? Or is it something you have to do rather than want to do? Knowing why it’s so hard to get started usually helps you to get going, or at least choose a tactic.

Then think of a reward for when you’re done. Make sure it’s something you really want, but won’t let yourself have unless the task is completed. I find providing myself with a constant reminder helps keep the end in sight!

If there are several things on the to-do list then try the minutes method. Set an alarm for 10 minutes and start working on the first task. When the timer goes off, re-set it and start on task 2. Repeat again for a third task. Then set the timer for 20 minutes and repeat. If you finish a task before the time is up, get started on the next time segment. I’ve never used this for more than three tasks at a time or I would get a bit confused. It really helps break up tasks, and everyone can deal with just 10 minutes on a task they hate!

Finally, I’m a big fan of to-do lists. Breaking up a large task into teeny little tasks makes it seem so much easier. If times are getting desperate, little rewards for each goal like chocolate or reading  a blog, should definitely get you going. 

1 comment:

  1. I like these ideas... I've never done the 3-task-timer challenge before! Lately the reward I give myself is sleep, haha! I get sooo sleepy way too early in the evening after work and I try to accomplish one or two small tasks for my projects before snuggling into bed. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your lovely thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...