Thursday, 14 February 2013

No card, no present, no dinner

By the time you read this Valentine’s Day will be here and I can almost guarantee I won’t have a card. I probably won’t have a present either. And I definitely won’t be whisked out for a romantic meal tonight. 

I have nothing against Valentine's Day, in fact I've loved reading all the heart themed blog posts there has been the last couple of weeks! But I don’t need one day a year to show someone I love them, or for them to show the same back. I’m a big believer in the little things people do everyday to show they care. When it isn’t being forced on them by every company in the world.

I’ve been thinking about these little things and (cue cheesiness) here are few the mister has done recently:
  1. Visited three supermarkets in one day so I could check some things for work
  2. Brought me home doughnuts on more than one occasion (I have an unhealthy obsession with them)
  3. Listened to the entire plot of the book I was reading so I could make one teeny point that he probably didn’t care about
  4. Offered to drive (and then actually did drive) my sister and her boyfriend home despite it being about 20 miles out of our way
  5. His response to me buying bunny ear headbands/parrot leggings/another sequin dress: ‘I’m sure they will always come in handy’. They probably won’t and he knows it.
Each and every one of these, and the 100’s of other things he has done or (hopefully) will do means way more to me than a card today.

And it’s not just the mister. I have work colleagues who know it has to be Coke and not Pepsi and friends who will listen to me bang on about something for hours without more than a nod in the right place. My mum sent me a leaflet for a show she thought I would love the other day.

So whether you got an extravagant present, a homemade card, or nothing at all today, maybe tomorrow should be the day you show the people you love that they mean the world to you. Even if that just means remembering the girls at work prefer dark chocolate when you take in some treats, or tweeting your best friend with that book you think she’ll love.

Love is for life guys, not just for Valentine’s Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your lovely thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...